This review is old and compares the SkyBell with the Doorbot. The Doorbot is an older version of the Ring Video Doorbell. Read my full review of the Ring Video Doorbell here.
What is the SkyBell?
The SkyBell is very similar to the DoorBot. It is a Wi-Fi-enabled doorbell that alerts you on your smartphone whenever someone rings the “bell.” But it has a couple of key differences.
What does the SkyBell have that the DoorBot doesn’t?
The SkyBell has a couple of features that the DoorBot does not. Here are SkyBell’s Unique Features:
- Nightvision: The SkyBell offers nightvision, so you can see whomever is ringing your doorbell, even when it is dark outside.
- Motion Sensor: The SkyBell has a motion sensor that allows the camera to be turned on whenever there is motion detected outside your door. Currently, the Doorbot does not offer a feature like this.
How is the SkyBell similar to DoorBot?
- For starters, they are both Wi-Fi enabled doorbells that interact with a smartphone app. Whenever someone “rings” the doorbell, they both alert you that there is someone at the door.
- They both offer movable cameras and software updates.
- Both the SkyBell and Doorbot can be used on multiple devices in the family.
- They both allow you to see who is at the door wherever you are, not just in your home.
- They are both about the same price – $199.
Why should you buy Doorbot over SkyBell?
There is one main reason to buy a DoorBot over a SkyBell. The SkyBell requires a wired line to operate. In other words, your current door bell must have wired power for your SkyBell to operate. The Doorbot is either wireless or wired. I thought that my old doorbell was wired, but when I took it apart, I found out that it was actually wireless. It turns out that most doorbells in newer home are wireless. Less wires = less expensive.
Make sure that your doorbell has wired power before you buy a SkyBell.
Why should you buy a SkyBell over a Doorbot?
Some people should by a SkyBell if they are looking for night vision. If, for example, you don’t have a great, bright light outside your front door, nightvision could be very helpful!
Both SkyBell and Doorbot have updatable software, so I wouldn’t buy a SkyBell over a DoorBot just because it mentions that “on-demand viewing coming soon” – because they both with. Both companies are great start-ups that are always trying to improve.
Should I buy a Doorbot or SkyBell?
It’s up to you. The SkyBell does have more features, if you need them. I, personally, like the Doorbot better, but some like the SkyBell more.