My SmartThings Review
The home automation battle is heating up and SmartThings is one of the hottest names in the Smart Home world. SmartThings offers one of the easiest and most affordable ways to start home automation. When people come to me and ask where they should start with their Smart Home, I recommend the SmartThings Know and Control Your Home Bundle. Don’t go any further until you read this SmartThings Review.
How should you start a smart home?
The SmartThings Know and Control Your Home Bundle provides a good starting point for building your smart home. It is a kit that includes many different items: many different sensors and even a controller.
Here’s what the SmartThings Know and Control Your Home Kit includes:
- 1 SmartThings Hub
- The Brain behind your Smart Home.
- This connects all of the following devices together.
- You can read more about Smart Home Controllers, but this is one of the most important parts of any Smart Home system.
- 2 SmartSense Multi-Purpose Sensors
- Detects movement, vibration, change in orientation, and temperature. Receive text or push notifications on your smartphone for any number of creative solutions using the Multi.
- Find out if doors, windows, or drawers are open or closed.
- You could even place a sensor in the mailbox to get a notification when your mail comes.
- 2 SmartSense Presence Sensors
- The SmartSense Presence sensor is a little sensor that can fit on your keychain or belt loop. Want to know when the kids leave? Give them a little sensor to put in their backpack.
- It lets you receive updates about a person, pet, or object’s location, and lets you customize different actions to take place when these things come in and out of range of the SmartThings Hub.
- 1 SmartSense Plug-and-Control Outlet
- Control, automate and monitor anything that plugs into the wall.
- Trigger your lights when the garage door opens.
- Turn on the coffee maker when you wake up.
- 1 SmartSense Motion Sensor
- Know if movement is detected wherever you are home or away.
- Once motion is detected, a light or alarm could be triggered.
- You can also set triggers to be set when movement is not detected for a period of time. For example, turn off the lights when there is no movement.
- I, personally, use this in my unfinished basement to alert me if anyone has broke in.
All SmartThings products work with most Android or iPhones with an App you can download in their respective stores.
How easy is setup of the SmartThings Know and Protect Your Home Bundle?
One word: easy. The whole setup is done through the smartphone app and it walks you through the entire process.
The app allows you to set up triggers and different actions throughout your smart home.
Will SmartThings Work with Nest, WeMo, Philips Hue and other Smart Home Devices?
The short answer is: probably. The great thing about a company like SmartThings is that they are always updating their software. Right now, SmartThings officially supports Z-Wave and ZigBee protocols–as well as some Wi-Fi devices. That means that you are not locked into ONLY SmartThings devices. I love that about SmartThings. If SmartThings doesn’t currently support your device, I can assure you that they are working on it.
How much does SmartThings cost?
The SmartThings Know and Control You Home bundle is very affordable. I’ve found the best price for the the bundle here. On top of that, there are no monthly service charges, like some solutions. So, once you buy it, it’s yours to use! That’s awesome.
What else should I know about the SmartThings Bundle?
If you’ve been tiptoeing around the idea of transforming your home into a smart home, I recommend the SmartThings Know and Control Your Home Bundle. It’s cheap. It works. It’s easy to use.
Have questions about this SmartThings Review? Just ask in the comments.